Help is here. Traveling with children can be tricky. We are here to help you with tips and tricks to make your holiday season easier to manage. Just remember these key words. Stay calm and carry-on.
Do What Is Best For Your Family
You know your children better than anyone else. Some people will tell you to travel at night, because your kids are sound asleep. It makes driving at night easier as each driver takes a shift. This helps the other drivers sleep. Or reverse this situation with flying, it becomes magical because kids are sleeping or are easier to entertain, while you can get some shut eye. Sounds Amazing!
This scenario may not work for your family. You may stay up all night worried one of you may crash the car. Your child may decide they are not tired at three in the morning and have a meltdown. Whether you are driving or flying, they don’t call those flights red eye for nothing.
When flying or driving, consider your departure and arrival times. Think about the number of stops you will need to take, the length of each place before getting to your next destination. Think about food and snacks ahead of time. When flying request a child’s meal before your flight. These are things that will help you determine what is best for your family.
What To Pack?
Learn to simplify when packing. You learn to be selective in what you use. Cramming lots of stuff will make your life harder as you are carrying a lot of extra weight, and you have that much more to keep track of.
- Try packing a “just in case” bag that has: an extra outfit, swimsuit, underwear. In case your luggage goes missing or your little one has an accident and needs that change of clothing. Have these things in a Ziploc bag to put soiled or wet items in. Also to find what you need in a hurry.
- Pack a parent bag. These are things to keep close at hand for you and your kids. These are things you may want to keep separate from the kids bag.
- Lots of snacks!!! Pack special snacks on top of the usual ones to make it more exciting.
- Have an empty water bottle or sippy cup available to help fill up when the time arrives. Then, you don’t have messy soda cans or soft drinks all over the floor. These also make a quick snack cup in hurry.
- Baby wipes of all shapes and sizes. That’s what it feels like anyways. These are a must! I would assume it is pretty self explanatory.
- Extra Ziploc bags! They help keep anything and everything contained. Great for a smelling barrier as well. Use for leftover snack packages. The possibilities are endless.
- Keep an extra copy of your travel itinerary. This will help you to stay more organized. Also a great resource to have when needed in a hurry to glance at.
- Chargers for any all electronics. Even if you’re not by any outlets, these can be your saving grace. Also make sure all your electronics are fully charged and ready to go.
- Extra diapers/pull-ups
- Pack a Kids bag full of things to help keep your children busy, put these things in a Ziploc baggie. To help with traveling light. You could include:
- Paper /coloring book
- Twisty crayons / markers /or mechanical pencils (don’t need to sharpen them)
- Travel pillow/sleep mask for all the lights at night
- A special surprise you got them.
Dress The Part
Just as you would wear certain things when camping or going to the beach, when traveling, you never know what kind of surprises you will be in for. So first things first. Dress yourself with comfortable clothing. This will one of the best things you can do. Avoid things that are restricting or things that don’t breathe well. Your body will thank you when you’re sitting for hours on end. Try and wear layers, that way you can take things off and on easier. And wear comfortable shoes!
Be prepared For Delays
Nobody like detours, road closers, flights being canceled, or delayed. Try and make the best of things. Realize sometimes you can’t control every little detail, even with the best of planning. Just try and stay upbeat and not show signs of stress. Make the best of the situation.
- Watch a movie together on your electronic device.
- Remember those snacks and activities, now is the time to use them.
- Explore whatever is around you, make it fun.
- Try going somewhere to sit down and eat.
- Play a game together.
- Sing songs
Take time to enjoy and soak it all in. Children grow up fast. And the more prepared you are the happier you and your children will be. Besides, children love all the excitement of traveling.
What are some travel tips you would love to share?